Monday, December 04, 2006

New yahoo

Wonder if you guys noticed this. I just did. Yahoo mail has this awesome hyperlink pop up prompts for place names; click on the pop up and you get a map and other information about the city or country thus linked.
I wish I could've illustrated it with a screen shot, but wth, you can check out your yahoo mail.

*****

Very interesting site I came across today. They're very well laid out, including their statement of accounts on the home page too!

Free Software is a matter of freedom, not cost. It is a matter of liberty, not price. The word `free' in Free Software has a similar meaning as in free speech, free people and free country and should not be confused with its other meaning associated with zero-cost. Think of Free Software as software which is free of encumbrances, not necessarily free of cost. Think of it as swatantra software.

FSF India is a non-profit organisation committed to advocating, promoting and propagating the use and development of swatantra software in India. Our goal is to ensure the long term adoption of Free Software, and aim for the day when all software will be free. This includes educating people about software freedom and convincing them that it is the freedom that matters. We regard non-free software as a problem to be solved, not as a solution to any problem.



Sounds good huh? But what about Intellectual Property Rights? Yes,I'd like to fancy code-writing needs no intellectual protection, but then, I don't write codes. Anyways, first things first: I'd like to know who is fighting for Open Source Software. And to that mill, I will add more grist.

7 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger taggy said...

FSF is not just about softwares :) It has given rise to whole new aspect of any object in todays world.Evolution os creative common licences which lets any one use others image with the right credentials .
But yes Free and Opensource best go in terms with software for its the tool thats making news today .

http://freeculture.org/
http://freeculture.org/
:)
thanks
taggy
http://theyagar.info

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

silly I might sound, what are they trying to say - that I should pay for my softwares or not?

Or is it only about freedom to choose what software I want to use...I guess that option is available to anyone and everyone in this world...Why do we need a federation to say this? Will we have federation for common sense too?

Ok after typing this I spent much time to read about that site...and I guess what one wants to do with the software they churn out is entirely upto them. And I guess everything comes with a price...If someone wants the to modify some other software they purchase( free software is not zero-cost remember), they can always get access to source as they want it and releasing it back to the public - well, they just have to listen to the owner of the code. With software, you do not own everything you buy, you own the rights to use how the manufacturer specifies and you pay for that. MAy be people should just understand that paying money does not mean they own the world !

All said, I'm an open source developer and advocate myself....but I also believe that I can sell and earn my living on what is genuinely mine !

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

intuit quickbooks contact phone number for accounting help

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quickbooks line canada for accounting

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Sage 50 technical Support number 877-800-6640 said...

Quickbooks Canada phone number in Ontario

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here to Quickbooks Desktop phone Number

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger tec sagar said...

news

 

Post a Comment

<< Home